Broccoli Au Gratin - SOS Oyster Shells
This broccoli au gratin recipe is made similar to the popular casserole dish, but baked and served in individual servings on an SOS oyster shell.
Write a review
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- ½ cup finely diced yellow onion
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 ¼ teaspoons salt
- 1 pinch ground white pepper
- 1 pinch ground cayenne pepper
- 1 ½ cup milk
- ½ cup cream
- 3 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 Tablespoons all-purpose white flour
- 1 cup grated Cheddar cheese
- 6 Tablespoons finely grated Parmesan cheese
- 8 cups blanched broccoli florets (about 10 cups raw)
- 15 SOS Oyster Shells©
- ½ cup finely ground plain French bread crumbs
- 6 Tablespoons finely ground Parmesan cheese
- 1 ½ teaspoons Spanish paprika
- 4 Tablespoons melted unsalted butter
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Make the sauce: Melt 2 Tablespoons of butter in a pot over medium heat. Add the onions and cook until the onions are soft and clear.
- Reduce heat to low. Add the salt, white pepper, cayenne, and bay leaf. Cook for 10 seconds.
- Add the milk and cream and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Make a roux: In a small skillet, melt 3 Tablespoons of butter. Gradually whisk in the flour and cook for 1 minute. Add the roux to the boiling milk/cream mixture. Reduce heat to low and cook for 3-4 minutes, whisking occasionally. Remove from heat.
- Add the Cheddar cheese and 6 Tablespoons of Parmesan. Whisk until the cheese melts into the sauce. Remove the bay leaf. In a mixing bowl, add the blanched broccoli florets and the cheese sauce. Stir to coat the broccoli with the sauce. Place the broccoli into the SOS Oyster Shells.
- Make the gratin topping: In a small mixing bowl, add the bread crumbs, 6 Tablespoons Parmesan, the paprika, and melted butter. Stir until well blended. Top each shell with about 1 Tablespoon of the gratin topping.
- Bake at 350° for 30 minutes until piping hot. Serve immediately.
SOS Stainless Steel Oyster Shells https://sosshells.com/